Downtown Ludington's New Year's Eve Ball Drop
Photo by Todd Reed
December 31, 2013DOWNTOWN LUDINGTON "LIGHTS UP THE LAKE"
Can't be in Times Square for New Year's Eve? No problem--Ludington has their own Lighted Ball Drop in downtown Ludington at midnight, designed and made by local residents. It's all part of downtown Ludington's Light Up the Lake event. Last year's event brought around 5,000 people to downtown Ludington.
2012 New Year's Eve Schedule
- New Year's Resolution Run (5K) Fun Run, registration begins at 8am, OJ Middle School's North Gym. Race begins at 9am at the intersection of Washington Ave. and Tinkham Ave.
- Family New Year's Eve Party, 6pm-9pm, Sandcasles Children's Museum, $10 per person, $35 per family.
- New Year's Eve Family Party, 8pm-11:30pm, Ludington Library.
- Entertainment Tent opens at 9:30pm in N. James Street Plaza, downtown Ludington, with music and beverages.
- Commemorative glasses will be available. Food & Drink specials throughout the night in downtown Ludington.
- Ball drop with a countdown to midnight.
- Fireworks display over downtown Ludington.
January 1, 2013
- Pyrates of the Inland Seas New Year's Day Beach Party, 1pm, Stearns Park Beach.
LUDINGTON RESTAURANTS, PUBS, AND RETAIL SHOPS ARE OPEN
On Monday, December 31, numerous downtown businesses offer great sales and many of them stay open late at night. And some of Ludington's favorite downtown restaurants are having two seatings, with dinner specials for two. Whether you want to wander through our art galleries, browse our specialty stores, or enjoy food and drink at a local restaurant or pub, Ludington welcomes you to come in out of the weather! Follow these links for additional information about Ludington Restaurants and Ludington Specialty Shops.
JOIN THE NEW YEAR'S EVE FUN!
It's a one of a kind event...with evening activities beginning at 9:30pm at the North James Street Plaza in the heart of downtown Ludington. Be sure to check our Coupons Page and our Travel Specials Page for discounts and specials offered by Ludington area merchants and lodging facilities. If you are visiting Ludington from out of town, check our Lodging Category for a list of hotels, motels, inns, and other places to stay. Happy New Year!!
FAMILIES CAN ENJOY NEW YEARS EVE TOGETHER
There are two family-oriented parties scheduled on New Year' Eve. The first one will be at Sandcastles Children's Museum from 6pm-9pm. The other one is being held at the Ludington Library from 8pm-11:30pm...where there will be video games, board games, puzzles, carnival games, crafts, toys...plus hot chocolate, cookies and popcorn.
WATCH THE BALL DROP
The Ludington New Year's Eve ball is six feet, five inches in diameter and is lit by 6,000 LED lights. It is the biggest ball in West Michigan. Employees of GLC Metal Fabricators and Harsco were responsible for making the ball, and Tye Signs did the lights. There are four different color lights which blink as it's lowered.
ENJOY FESTIVE SMALL TOWN CHARM
The festive atmosphere of our northern New Year's Eve is filled with small town friendliness and local charm. You'll feel so enchanted, we bet you will come back year after year. Being up north in Ludington is great even in the winter!