The Benefits of Hiring a Licensed Contractor
The Home Builders Association of West Michigan gives reasons why you should select a licensed builder for your next construction project.
When hiring someone to either work on your existing home or to build a new one for you there are several considerations to bear in mind, all of which will affect the end result and over time your satisfaction with the finished product.
Things you should be concerned with:
- The design of the work to be done.
- The skill level of the contractor you hire to do the work.
- The quality of materials to be used in your project.
- The final cost once the work is done to your satisfaction.
- The ability to get any warranty work done without hassle.
There are numerous reasons why these concerns can best be addressed by hiring a licensed contractor as opposed to someone who just does "carpenter work."
Advantages of Hiring a Licensed Contractor include:
- Knowing that you the work done will be by someone who has years of experience and who the state has tested as to his knowledge of proper building techniques.
- Having a professional on your team who is knowledgeable in the building codes and who will carefully build within them.
- Being protected by the fact that you are protected from liability and property claims while the work is being performed as your builder is fully insured.
- The ability to check references like the HBA to verify the reputation and reliability of the contractor.
- Lower end cost even though the quote may have been higher because the work is done properly the first time.
- Shorter time in completing the work due to the contractor’s competence.
- Security in knowing that the local inspectors will be reviewing the work to ensure the safety and quality of the finished product.
- Peace of mind due to the fact that a licensed contractor will hire only qualified sub-contractors to do the plumbing, wiring and mechanical work on your project.
Please never forget that you are at risk any time you hire an unlicensed person. The legal system recognizes this fact and as a result you never have to pay an unlicensed person more than $600 for work they do for you. It is sad how often licensed contractors have to be called in to re-do substandard work performed by unqualified workers. The end result USUALLY COSTS FAR MORE WHEN FINISHED.
Benefits of Selecting a Home Builders Association Member
The HBA is a group of professionals in their industry and are committed to the highest standards of work. To join the HBA a person must have the sponsorship of an existing member and be voted upon by the Board of Directors.
- Only licensed persons can join the HBA.
- The Board of Directors and HBA members are committed to holding each other to professional standards of work.
- Members must adhere to our code of ethics or lose their membership.
- HBA membership is only granted to persons who have a business that has been time-proven and is known in the area.
- You can check with other HBA members for a reference.
- They are also members of the Michigan Home Builders Association and the National Association of Home Builders who provide stability and credibility.
Why would you risk hiring someone who lacks a well-established company and has no ties to others in their industry?